Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Alfond is Officially the Grandpa of Maine

The Kennebec Journal reported that the late Harold Alfond officially became the Grandpa of Maine this morning. Well, maybe not in those exact words.

Gabriella May Frain was born at MaineGeneral Medical Center in Waterville at 1:55a this morning, thereby becoming the first "Alfond Baby." The moniker refers to the fact that Baby Frain is the first recipient of the Harold Alfond College Challenge, which includes a $500 deposit into a college savings account for each baby born in MaineGeneral facilities this year.

Considering babies born in Maine hospitals other than MaineGeneral won't become eligible for the $500 college fund kickstart until 2009, it'll be annoying when I have to drive my wife, who is expecting in February, from Westbrook to Waterville to pop out our little one for the five-hundred bucks. You think I'm joking? Well, yeah I guess I am.

First I barely miss out on Opportunity Maine and now this. Aye, aye, aye. Would someone please let me know when I should schedule my next life-changing experience, so I can get some financial gain out of it?


- John C.L. Morgan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should drive to Waterville for the birth of your first child. It's only a little over an hour away, right?

Westbrook Diarist said...

Try telling my wife that.

John