Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Welcome

Welcome, dear reader, to the Westbrook Diarist. Click here each day to be entertained, but linger to be enlightened. No, I'm just kidding. Sort of.

Anyway, a new Best of Westbrook poll will be posted here each Monday, so swing by each week to slap down a vote for your uncle's best friend's girlfriend's hair salon when the appropriate time comes. Until then, do the drunkards among us a favor and vote for what you think is Westbrook's best bar.

And on Tuesdays (well, starting next Tuesday), come to the Westbrook Diarist to read a first-person narrative about an event or place in Maine. I'll try to make the narratives elegant. (First homework assignment: What does elegant mean when translated into Yankee? Hint: Tim Sample fans will know I'm not referring to the baseball team.)

On alternating Wednesdays, the Westbrook Diarist will have either a fact about Maine, or a quote by a Mainer. Either way, expect bizarre, humorous, and/or wise nuggets about life in the Pine Tree State.

On Thursdays, please indulge me as I indulge my habit of telling other people what to do. Of course, all my directives will be meant as a public service, a gift from this humble public servant to you.

Then, after the requisite day of rest (for all those whose heads are still throbbing from last night's alcohol, I'm referring to Friday) come back to the Westbrook Diarist every other Saturday to read film reviews about movies currently collecting dust on your DVD rack, as well as the fresh releases from County Road. Then, come back every other Sunday to read an electronic essay about the religious experience in Westbrook. I'll try my damnedest to make those pieces more interesting than that last sentence described them.

And, finally, despite the fact that I told you, my dear reader, to check in on this day, this day, but not that day, do visit us here at Westbrook Diarist every day. Depending on how inspired I am, I will post newspaper headlines from around Maine and will offer a smart and witty perspective about life in the shimmering City of Westbrook and in the grand State of Maine.

- John C.L. Morgan

No comments: