Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Introducing Rev. Cunnyngham

Reader, please meet Paul S. Cunnyngham. Reverend, this is reader. Now that we've gotten those formalities out of the way, let's get to business.

Over the last week or so, I've been trolling the MySpace pages of Maine musicians to feature their music on my MySpace profile page (that is either so meta or so pathetic; I'm leaning toward pathetic). Anyway, I came across a musician I'd never heard of, but whose music I kept going back to. I don't know if it's the raw winter outside, but I kept calling up Rev. Paul S. Cunnyngham's profile to listen to his raspy voice and stark accompaniment. Then, I dug a little deeper and discovered his collection of vintage (it's so hot!) music videos on YouTube. Hopefully, I've enlightened even the closest reader of Sam Pfeifle's Portland Phoenix music column with this pick. Before you make the jump, however, a disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed on the Reverend's MySpace page or YouTube channel do not necessarily reflect those of the Riverbank Republic. Man, I've always wanted to write that.

Without further ado, click
here for Rev. Paul S. Cunnyngham's YouTube channel and here for his MySpace page. For what it's worth, I recommend the videos for "Selfdestruction Me" and "The Fountain."

- John C.L. Morgan

No comments: