Monday, October 26, 2009

Election '09: Victor Chau on the Issues

Victor Chau is the Democratic Party's nominee for the Ward 2 City Council seat.

What are your three legislative goals if you are elected?
Balance the budget, figure out new ways to get additional revenue, and make residents happy.


How do you plan to implement those three legislative goals?
With an Exacto knife; work with the City Council, City employees, and major businesses;
and listen to my constituents' wishes and goals.

Which city services do you think should be maintained or expanded?
Without looking at the budget, I'll maintain all services and expand none.

How will you make Westbrook a better place in which to live and work?
Organize community service programs, organize crime watch neighborhoods, attract more businesses here, and organize more events similar to Westbrook Together Days.

Which city services do you think should be cut or eliminated?
Without looking at the budget, none.

What are your thoughts concerning a Charter Commission?

I am still doing more research on this issue.

Do you plan to vote "Yes" or "No" on Question 2 on this year's referendum ballot?
No.

What are your thoughts concerning the zoning conflict between Pike Industries and Westbrook Works?
The voters who live there and who are most affected have voiced strongly that they support rezoning. I will do what voters ask of me.

Do you plan to vote "Yes" or "No" on Question 4 on this year's referendum ballot?
Yes.

Cite at least one example in which you cooperated with a member (or members) of another political party.
I struck a very important peace accord that lasted for weeks with a high-ranking member of the Republican Party--my wife.

What are your thoughts concerning the proposed Stroudwater Place development?
It is a contract zone, so the developer already has rights to build there as long as he follows the contract. Residents have voiced their opinions that they don’t want this contract changed.

Cite at least one example in which you differed with your own political party.
I have not had an opportunity to differ. I will let you know that I am party-blind. I have never answered a question with the question: "What party are you?" I try not to play follow-the-leader, but I do my own research and come to my own conclusions. Doing what makes sense should be everyone’s goal.

What are your thoughts concerning the fire department’s problems with sexual harassment lawsuits?
This is an unfortunate series of events. If this had been dealt with strictly in the beginning with a zero-tolerance policy from day one, we might not be talking about this right now.

Cite at least one instance in which you’ve agreed with your opponent.
We both love our kids, and we both believe we can make this city better for them.

What are your thoughts concerning the Downtown Streetscape Plan?
Upon brief review, it seems like a good direction to head in.

What policy issue have you changed your mind about since becoming a politician?
I started campaigning wanting to be a candidate for the people, and by the people of Ward 2. I had set out to poll all the residents of Ward 2 and see what their top concerns were. After many indifferent responses, though, I had to change to a more realistic goal of being a candidate for only the people who are willing to talk to me, instead of everybody.

Is there anything you’d like to add?
Please contact me! I’m not a mind reader! My Candidate Councilor Hotline is 207-518-8887, and my email is
Vote4VictorChau@Gmail.com.

- John C.L. Morgan

Related: Election '09: Introducing Victor Chau (October 19, 2009)

No comments: