Monday, October 19, 2009

Election '09: Introducing Victor Chau

Victor Chau is the Democratic Party's candidate for the Ward 2 seat on the Westbrook City Council.

Birthdate
October 21, 1973

Hometown
Portland, ME

Family
Wife, Karen

Children, Zachary (2) and Kayla (8 months)

Occupation
Real Estate Broker

Education
B.A., Biology and B.S., Computer Science, University of Southern Maine

Professional Experience
Realtor for 7 years

Political Experience
None

Military Experience
None

Association Memberships
Realtor Association


Address
18 Dale Avenue

E-Mail

Vote4VictorChau@Gmail.com

Phone Number
518-8887

What is your favorite fiction book?
Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol

Favorite song
"Someone Like You," Van Morrison

Who is your favorite Maine politician?

George Mitchell.

What is your favorite part of being a candidate?
Meeting really nice people.

What is your favorite restaurant?
Casa Novella

What is your favorite vacation spot?
Hawaii.

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A happy wife and happy kids make me happy.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Stubbornness.

Which phrase do you most overuse?
Hi, I’m Victor Chau and I’m running for Ward 2 City Council.

Who are your heroes in real life?
My wife.

What is your motto?
Hi, I’m Victor Chau and I’m running...


- John C.L. Morgan

5 comments:

Ward 2 Voter said...

I met Victor when he was campaigning door to door. We invited him into our home, and my family and I were favorably impressed with him as a person and with his ability to represent us on the city council. Victor seems capable of caring about the citizens of Westbrook while helping to steer a sound future for the city.

We think two important qualities make him the better choice. First, his actions are consistent with his words. By deciding to run, he's following his advice to his own business clients. Second, he impressed us with his thoughtful responses and positions. He's spent considerable time pre-election researching issues, and he seems adamant about maintaining his independence from undue influence and listening to the concerns of his constituents.

The race is interesting since both candidates are new. I don't know David Tapley personally, but I've heard him speak very emotionally at meetings and then have to clarify or apologize afterward. He initially came out in favor of Pike, and his name still appears on the pro-Pike group's website, although I hear he's backed away from that position. So given the choice, we feel more confident in Victor's thoughtful, reasoned approach to critical issues, and we want to give him the chance to succeed.

David Tapley said...

To Whom it May Concern,
I have asked at least twice to have my name removed from the Citizens for Balanced Growth website. I respect any critique anyone has of me, but please don't judge me by assumptions.

Ward 2 Neighbor said...

I also met Victor during the recent campaigning weeks. We chatted quite a while as to philosophy, interests, the “big picture” and short/long term concerns and vision before either of us shared opinions on any particular current issue. He struck me first and foremost as a dedicated listener, and even after we exchanged views on current issues, Victor expressed thoughts and ideas to me I felt were balanced and careful, and neither hesitant nor haphazardly changing as he heard what I believed.

While I don’t doubt David’s genuine interest and energy in working for Ward 2, I have been uncomfortable as to his balance in representation and respect for process. David employed his membership on the Recreation and Conservation Commission to very aggressively advance single-minded and unbalanced support of an item on its agenda and worse, when the result from the Commission was not of the timing and substance desired, made uninformed accusations of his fellow Commission members and City staff. This Commission of historically active, highly dedicated, nonpartisan citizens, which enjoyed strong rapport with City staff and high regard by the Planning Boards and City Councils it reports to, was irreparably damaged and several of its long-term members have since resigned.

I believe citizens here in Ward 2 will be more carefully and comprehensively represented by Victor.

David Tapley said...

When something doesn't feel right or just, I will always speak up. I someone doesn't want that in an elected official, then I'm not your man. All of the other accusations are not worthy of a response. Why am I just hearing this now, the night before the election? Call, email me, or heck, maybe knock on my door.

David Tapley said...

It's November 4th. I'm eagerly awaiting more posts related to this topic. Now that we have this election issue out of the way, we can get down to business. Maybe we can even introduce ourselves?