Thursday, October 29, 2009

Election '09: Michael Foley on the Issues

Michael Foley is one of the Democratic Party's two nominees for the At-Large City Council seat.

What are your three legislative goals if you are elected?
N/A

How do you plan to implement those three legislative goals?
N/A

Which city services do you think should be maintained or expanded?
I feel we should maintain all the City services we currently have. The taxpayers expect and deserve these services, and, if possible, we should combine with others where appropriate and only expand if absolutely needed.

How will you make Westbrook a better place in which to live and work?
Continue to maintain the excellence and growth our city as seen for some time and ensure it will continue to always be a great place!

Which city services do you think should be cut or eliminated?
I feel we should maintain all the City services we currently have. The taxpayers expect and deserve these services, and, if possible, we should combine with others where appropriate and only expand if absolutely needed.

What are your thoughts concerning a Charter Commission?
I feel it is always important to review the structure of your organization. Westbrook has not done a review as long as we know and allowing the citizens the opportunity to choose if they want a review is important. I will support the issue, as I feel it is greatly need for a number of issues.


Do you plan to vote "Yes" or "No" on Question 2 on this year's referendum ballot?
I plan to vote no for the sole reason that it will have a significant impact on our municipal budget and the taxes in our city that we have worked too hard to manage.

What are your thoughts concerning the zoning conflict between Pike Industries and Westbrook Works?
I am undecided on that issue as it has not come before the city council for debate and I feel it would be unfair to state before hearing from all sides.

Do you plan to vote "Yes" or "No" on Question 4 on this year's referendum ballot?
I plan to vote no for the sole reason that it will have a significant impact on our municipal budget and the taxes in our city that we have worked too hard to manage.

Cite at least one example in which you cooperated with a member (or members) of another political party.
On the City Council, I feel we have all worked greatly together to achieve goals in many issues. Though we may feel different about it, we all want what is best for the citizens. An example is trash and recycling. We have been at odds on that issue for some time and have finally worked together to accomplish what we have today. On the issue of the Mayor, I have proposed on numerous occasions to work together with Mayor Chuluda with very little, if not any, cooperation.

What are your thoughts concerning the proposed Stroudwater Place development?
My thoughts are that it is a great project for the community and region, and when the economy turns around, we will see it happen.

Cite at least one example in which you differed with your own political party.
I have been on the opposite sides of my party on many occasions. I do not sit in that seat to represent my party, I represent the citizens and what is good for the community.

What are your thoughts concerning the fire department’s problems with sexual harassment lawsuits?
I feel it is an unfortunate issue on all sides and hope that someday we may see resolution.


Cite at least one instance in which you've agreed with your opponents.
N/A

What are your thoughts concerning the Downtown Streetscape Plan?
I feel it is important to improve the downtown and this is an important step to do so.


What policy issue have you changed your mind about since becoming a politician?
N/A

Is there anything you'd like to add?
N/A

- John C.L. Morgan

(Editor's Note: Michael Foley's opponents, Michael Lawson and John O'Hara, did not respond to my queries for their perspectives on policy.)

Related: Election '09: Introducing John O'Hara (October 22, 2009)
Related: Election '09: Introducing Michael Foley (October 22, 2009)

2 comments:

JM said...

Michael Foley is so eloquent and to the point, I am really proud of him, he has grown up to be a responsible, hard-working, helpful, and kind human being! I'm very glad to say that I know him, and I look forward to him being re-elected. He has the experience, know-how, hard work ethic, and the citizens' best idea in mind.

We have worked extremely hard on his campaign, and have had many supporters. It is unfortunate & upsetting that his signs are being vandalized once again this year. In my opinion, he does the best campaign job: he gets his signs out the first night possible, locates them in good places, paints the wooden signs with either white or blue, stencils his name, even paints the stake and makes sure everything lines up. I put together his paper signs on the wires with tape, and help him to put a few out on the roads, businesses, and friend's houses who support him. He works really hard on this and has really studied the way people run campaigns, in order to make sure his name is visible and he is known to the public. I think he does the best job in Westbrook, along with a few other signs I've seen lately. I wish the people who break his wooden signs, or even remove them from other peoples' properties and throw the sign in the ditch down the road; I wish they would get caught, but there's not much we can do about it.

I am glad Michael keeps a positive attitude, up until now & from the time he began his first term. He's had many adversities that he has been able to deal with, learn from, and move on to the next task. Re-elect councilor Foley on Tuesday, November 3rd!

Anonymous said...

I like MR. Foley!

Allen Moore