Saturday, March 22, 2008

Yeah, I'm Pretty Much an Uppity Twenty-Four-Year-Old

This morning while I was juggling my omelet-slathered fork in one hand and my babe in the other, I read something in this morning's Press Herald that nearly forced me to choke on my homefries: I was being attacked in the letters to the editor section. For not being proud enough of Westbrook!

Responding to quotes I made in this piece, fellow Westbrookian Priscilla D. LaSalle evidently took exception to my quote about how "[u]p until now it probably wasn't all that fashionable to say you were from Westbrook." To be fair, I understand how that quote could be considered rude.

Nevertheless, I stand by it.

Judging from my conversations with some city elders, and from my experiences at the Westbrook Historical Society and Walker Memorial Library's Westbrook History room (see, I've done a little research on the lives of "locals"--a strange place for quotation marks considering the article identifies me as a Westbrook native), Westbrook was once a lively and happening place. But in my admittedly brief lifetime, 'thriving' and 'first-class' haven't necessarily been the first words I'd think of when asked to describe Westbrook's shopping and culinary eminities. In fact, the whole point of the article Mrs. LaSalle cites is that Westbrook has only recently become notable for its restaurants.

The irony associated with criticizing a self-proclaimed cheerleader of Westbrook for a lack of Paper City pride is delicious. Unfortunately, though, Mrs. LaSalle's request that I keep my rude remarks to myself are a little too late and a little too unconvincing.

I have a blog devoted to all things Westbrook I've got to attend to.

- John C.L. Morgan

P.S. I tried to address all the criticisms Mrs. LaSalle jotted in her letter. But I couldn't confront her comment concerning my criticism of the mill, because I have no idea what she's talking about. I never mentioned the mill, or its stench, in the article.

No comments: