Saturday, March 29, 2008

(Far-Fetched) Thought of the Day

I had to drive down to Portsmouth, New Hampshire today. On the way home, I was feeling a little adventurous, so I flicked my dial to 1610 AM, the Travel Advisory station advertised along the Maine Turnpike.

If you haven't listened to the station before, I'll save you the time: It's boring. And repetitive. And basically just a waste of space on our airwaves. But it doesn't necessarily have to be.

Why doesn't the Maine Turnpike Authority get together with some of the promoters of Maine culture (Portland Music Foundation, Maine Writers & Publishers Alliance, Maine Humanities Council, Maine Songwriters' Association, etc.) and cobble together original programming to be played on 1610 between all the important announcements currently broadcast?

It would be a better promotion of Maine art than, say, a New York photographer's (gasp!) photographs of Weimaraner dogs.

- John C.L. Morgan

P.S. For all my ex-pat readers, here's a link to the Maine Turnpike Traffic Cams. You can almost smell the odiforous cocktail of pine and exhaust.

No comments: