Monday, April 28, 2008

Better Know a Rep: Drew Gattine

Sure, you probably know where City Councilor Drew Gattine (D-Ward 2) stands on some of the big issues of the day. But I bet you didn't know what he considers to be his greatest extravagance. Or which talent he would most like to have. Don't worry, that's why we exist.

Now, a close reader may recognize these are the same questions featured in Vanity Fair's 'Proust Questionnaire.' I felt guilty for lifting content from a magazine, but felt better about it once I learned the editors at Vanity Fair themselves lifted the questions from a biography of Marcel Proust. Besides, the sincerest form of flattery is imitation. Right?

Anyway, without further ado, I present Drew Gattine's 'Proust Questionnaire.'

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
On vacation with my family.

What is your current state of mind?
Happy. Busy, but happy.

Which living person do you most admire?
My wife. She holds it all together no matter how much I mess it up.

What is your greatest fear?
The typical stuff all parents worry about.


What is your greatest extravagance?
My Mets season tickets. Want to buy some games?

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Narrow-mindedness.

What is your most marked characteristic?
Patience.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Procrastination (the dark side of patience) and disorganization.

Which living person do you most despise?
I don't bother to despise anyone. World leaders who contribute to human suffering are pretty low on my list.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
I don't think any virtue is prevalent enough to be overrated.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
Unsure. I try to avoid looking at myself. Some people tell me I have a lot of hair on my back, but I think they're just teasing me.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Slow down a little. Not fill not every moment of every day with "stuff to do."

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Humor and intelligence.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Intelligence and humor.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Like most people of my generation, I need to find a replacement for awesome. I tend to say sorry a lot, but wouldn't claim to overuse it.

Which talent would you most like to have?
Any talent would be nice. Spinning straw into gold would come in handy.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
C'mon now. My wife and kids, of course.

When and where were you happiest?
At home with my family.

Where would you like to live?
Where I live now, 529 Stroudwater Street.

What is your most treasured possession?
Tangible possession: My bike. Our pets bring us a lot of joy, but I don't really think of them as possessions.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
The red-eye from Seattle to Portland. (My own personal hell about five times a year.)

What is your favorite occupation?
Professional golfer must be nice.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Odysseus.

Who are your heroes in real life?
Local people who help others: Teachers, social workers, public safety workers, nurses, etc.

What do you most value in your friends?
That they listen to my dumb stories and laugh at my bad jokes.

What is it that you most dislike?
Greed, in all its forms.

What is your motto?
Life's not a race, it's a journey.

- John C.L. Morgan

No comments: