Friday, August 20, 2010

Maine: Where You Come to Die

Move over, Vacationland, we might just have a new slogan brewing.

There is, of course, the oft-stated fact that Maine is
the oldest state in the U.S. Then there's the fact that our bureacratic efficiency at processing death certificates has actually inspired some to move to Maine in order to, well, die. Now, though, the perception of Maine as America's retirement home has apparently filtered down to the MTV set. Here's Taylor Swift in the PPH:

"When I am old and I have silver hair. Or white. I don't know which one it will
be, some shade like that. I want to live in Maine. I want to have a house and
make necklaces or something and have a lot of cats," she said. "It's a whole
fantasy for me. So at least I know where I'm going to end up."
To paraphrase Lady Antebellum, we Mainers kind of need you now.

- John C.L. Morgan

Related: The New Brunswick Model (August 19, 2010)

No comments: