Tuesday, August 10, 2010

World Cup-Inspired Culinary Wish List

I've been suffering withdrawal for about a month now that the 2010 World Cup has closed, but tonight's U.S. vs. Brazil friendly will take the edge off a bit.

It also gives me an excuse to make this post, which I've meant to make for a while now: A culinary wish list for Westbrook, inspired by the two countries (Uruguay and Germany) who battled for third place in South Africa this past July.

I wouldn't be surprised if Uruguay's Estancia del Puerto benefited from mouth-watering camera work and sizzling sound effects, but I can't resist drooling all over my keyboard when I watch this clip from Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. It seems just watching, hearing, and smelling meat being cooked this way would almost be as satisfying as it eating it.




The second item on this brief wish list is a more personal fare. Whenever I've gone to Berlin to visit a former German exchange student my family hosted while I was in high school, the döner kebab is basically the only thing I eat. Breakfast, lunch, mid-morning snack, dinner, midnight snack, it doesn't matter; I can't get enough. Apparently, I'm not the only one, as the döner is reportedly the most popular form of fast food in Germany, thanks in part to the country's sizable Turkish population.



- John C.L. Morgan

Related: No Reservations (April 23, 2010)

No comments: