Monday, May 5, 2008

Easy Listening

"A Prairie Home Companion", one of my favorite radio programs, broadcast live from Bangor Saturday night. And though I recommend you listen to the entire show, I command you to listen to segments two and five.

About 22:30 into segment two, my new hero Lucien "Lou" Mathieu of Westbrook graces the microphone. And the fifth segment begins with an instrumental version of the University of Maine's fight song, "The Maine Stein Song," which was arranged by Westbrook's favorite son, the late Rudy Vallee.

And while I'm getting all elitist on y'all, I might as well recommend you check out Maine writer Richard Ford's reading of John Cheever's short story "Reunion" in a The New Yorker podcast. I've listened to it at least five times and can't seem to get enough of it.

- John C.L. Morgan

P.S. Once I start, I just can't stop. Check out the Maine Humanities Council's collection of podcasts. Hmm, these would fit it in nicely with a certain idea I had a while ago.

No comments: