Monday, May 26, 2008

Historians and Robbers

When I read the 'Westbrook Cop and Civil War Historian' teaser on the front page of the Press Herald's 'Audience' section, I assumed I'd be reading about Sgt. Mike Sanphy once I flipped to page six (speaking of page six, when is the Press Herald going to get a page six like this one?).

Anyway, it was a safe assumption considering Sanphy is an active member of the Westbrook Historical Society and a frequent visitor to the Society on Saturday mornings. But I suppose we all know what happens when you assume: You learn the Westbrook Police Department is actually a secret bastion of...history buffs.

To wit, read the PPH's interview with Sgt. Mike Nugent, a co-author of One Continuous Night, a deconstruction of Gen. Robert E. Lee's retreat from Gettysburg.

- John C.L. Morgan

No comments: