Monday, May 12, 2008

Better Know a Rep: Brendan Rielly

Better know a representative by checking out this 'Proust Questionnaire' of City Councilor Brendan Rielly (D-Ward 1) :

What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Notre Dame's football team winning the national championship, or my kids succeeding at something they've worked hard at. Don't make me choose.

What is your current state of mind?
Peachy keen.

Which living person do you most admire?
Drew said his wife? I'll say Drew's wife, too. Anyone who can put up with him is a saint. No, I'd have to say my wife. I have to. She's reading this. Just kidding. I do admire Erica for her good heart and sense of humor, and the fact that she's stuck with me since we were both fifteen. Either she's a very loving person or just plain crazy. Both are traits I admire, and I'm not asking any questions.

What is your greatest fear?
Bats. Nasty, mean, ugly creatures. I could be profound and say fear of failing my loved ones, but I've gotta go with bats.

What is your most marked characteristic?
The third eye in the middle of my forehead. I keep it covered over with makeup. No, I hope my most marked characteristic is my positive attitude and willingness to make the best out of whatever situation I'm in.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Lack of patience.

Which living person do you most despise?
I don't despise any single person. I despise self-important people who have never had to work a day in their lives and who have no sense of humility, faith, duty, honor or community. And Yankees fans.

What is your greatest extravagance?
I don't really have any extravagances, although if I don't have air conditioning I get pretty cranky.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
See the traits of the living person I most despise.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
I don't think there is such a thing. Virtue only becomes overrated if it is false virtue, like pride or arrogance. Then it's no longer a virtue. Wow. That was way too profound for a Friday afternoon.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
I suppose that third eye in my forehead...

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I'd be more patient, and I'd have the gift of flight.

What is the quality you most like in a man?
A snarky sense of humor.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?
A snarky sense of humor.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
Okay.

Which talent would you most like to have?
Quarterbacking the Green Bay Packers would be pretty cool.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
You, of course. But since you're taken, I'll go with my wife.

When and where were you happiest?
Right here, right now. In general terms, I mean. I don't mean sitting at my computer typing to you, although this is pleasant.

Where would you like to live?
In the great city of Westbrook! I have a thousand places I'd love to travel to, but it's always nice to come home.

What is your most treasured possession?
We have lots of things that remind us of people we've known or places we've been, but I'm not a "thing" person, so I don't really have a treasured possession.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Not having friends or family who care about you.

What is your favorite occupation?
Dad and husband.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
A three-way tie: Luke Skywalker, George Bailey and Tom Joad. When I was a kid, I wanted to be Joe Hardy.

Who are your heroes in real life?
I start with my parents who taught me how to care for others, be a man, and give back. I continue learning from them as well as from my wife, my sister, my kids, and many of my friends. I'm always trying to learn how to be a better person and I certainly have a lot to work on. I'm lucky to be surrounded by people who are smarter, cooler and more put-together than me, and I learn from them. They're my heroes. Now I'm going to cry.

What do you most value in your friends?
A snarky sense of humor.

What is it that you most dislike?
People who think they know everything.

What is your motto?
Go get that ball. That's your ball! Sorry, that's my soccer coaching motto. Clarence the angel said: "Remember, no man is a failure who has friends." That works as well as anything.

- John C.L. Morgan

P.S. To read City Councilor Drew Gattine's 'Proust Questionnaire' from two weeks ago, click here.

No comments: