- The Finance Committee approved the school budget, which was decreased by $46,000 because of a grant.
- The Finance Committee unanimously voted to restore funding ($8,8775) for the position of a part-time car washer.
- The Finance Committee rejected a proposal to double the funding (from $1,500 to $3,000) for a dinner organized to recognize public safety officials, 3-3. (Councilors Aube, Foley, and Joyce in favor; Councilors Gattine, O'Hara, Rielly against.)
- The Finance Committee was able to extract $15,370 from the budget because of redundancy in the Police Department's budget.
- The Finance Committee supported an increase of $6,100 to cover the cost of printing and postage for citywide mailings on behalf of the Recreation Department, 5-1. (Councilors Aube, Gattine, Joyce, O'Hara, Rielly in favor; Councilor Foley against.)
- The Finance Committee increased funding for social services by $12,100, including an extra $6,000 for the Mission Possible Teen Center and an extra $3,000 to the Red Cross.
The City Council will be voting on Monday to give preliminary approval to budget. The meeting is at 7p, and will take place in Room 114 at the Westbrook High School.
- John C.L. Morgan