Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Election '10: Ann Peoples on the Issues

Democrat Ann Peoples is running as the incumbent against the Republican nominee Michael Lawson for the District 125 seat in the Maine House of Representatives. Peoples responds to a batch of policy questions below:

What are your top three legislative priorities for the upcoming session?
Transportation infrastructure, green jobs that can't be off-shored, and a more rationalized way of providing services to our most vulnerable citizens.

How do you plan to implement each of these three goals?
Continue to work on the Transportation Committee to implement a number of projects that allow us to do more with less (increasing the gas tax is not on the top of my agenda). To support the University of Maine in creating new technologies that give us a practical way to build and implement wind and tidal projects. To support training folks to do the "energy efficiency" jobs that we all know home owners need. And encourage the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to look for economies of scale so that the smaller providers can manage and bill through a larger provider in the area. This will save some serious overhead.

Which three state programs do you think should be maintained or expanded?
This question, and the following one, are just too global to answer in the time available. I am not a true believer who wants to take an axe to anything. We need to have a way to evaluate the the success of all our programs.

Which three state programs do you think should be cut or eliminated?
See above.

Cite at least one example in which you cooperated with a member (or members) of another political party.
We have had, over the last four years, a very bi-partisan House. My filter is 1) My conscience, 2) My constituency, and 3) My caucus. Frankly, we have had few issues that came down to a clearly partisan vote.

What are your thoughts concerning the state budget?
We will make it work. I have no idea how, but I know we always get there.

What are your thoughts concerning the Clean Elections law in Maine?
Best thing since sliced bread--that sure shows my age! Anybody still remember when most bread came unsliced?


What is your opponent's (Michael Lawson) greatest strength?
He sure looks like a healthy guy.

What are your thoughts concerning the state's education (K-12, as well as higher education) policies?
This is a work in progress. I actually went to school on Essential Programs and Services (EPS) and I'm still confused. I will continue to encourage the State to live up to the 55% promise.

What are your thoughts concerning same-sex marriage?
Give me one good reason LBGT shouldn't be just as invested as the rest of us. Partnerships are a fact on the ground, makes no sense to me that we don't rationalize that!

Cite at least one example in which you've differed with your political party.
The Sportsman's Alliance of Maine endorsed me. Enough said.

What are your thoughts concerning the state's taxation system?
See my voting record. I try and I try to tell folks that we have a problem, and I just don't get anywhere. Sigh.

What are your thoughts concerning term limits for legislators?
Term limits are counterproductive. The two-year election cycle is term limits. John Martin was the poster boy for that thing, and I ask you, who is still there?

What is your opponent's (Michael Lawson) greatest shortcoming?
I have no idea how tall he is.

What are your thoughts concerning the state's transportation policies?
Got to love the trains!

What are your thoughts concerning the state's public assistance programs?
See earlier comment.

You can see if Peoples is on your ballot on Tuesday, November 2 by clicking here.

- John C.L. Morgan


Related: Election '08: Introducing Ann Peoples (September 15, 2008)
Related: Election '08: Ann Peoples's Proust Questionnaire (September 22, 2008)
Related: Election '08: Ann Peoples's Favorite Things (September 29, 2008)

No comments: